Squarehippies.com Shirtless Forums

The place to talk about male celebrities and beyond!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

NEW RULE: ZERO POSTERS WILL BE DELETED. New registration is being frozen at the moment. Contact me if you would like an account or if you're having problems with an existing one.

#1 2010-03-06 18:58:21

Man Chester
T-Shirt

Technology Question: How do you get caps?

Hi folks -- What equipment and/or software do I need to get screen captures?  I'm pretty basic when it comes to technology know-how.  I don't even have a DVD player right now.  I'll be shopping for a new laptop soon -- maybe I will crossover to a Mac.  So, what do I need for the TV and computer? 

Thanks so much for your help.

#2 2010-03-06 21:43:14

gmaster21st
Tank Top

Re: Technology Question: How do you get caps?

Well Man Chester, I'm no techie either so I probably make my screen caps in a very clumsy way (but they work so who cares).  If you have a computer that uses windows XP or later, then you already have everything you need.  you don't need to connect your comp to the television (I wouldn't know how to do that anyway).  I think most people who create screen caps do it by watching television shows or movies on their computers.  you can do this from sites such as HULU or FANCAST or you can do it by watching a DVD on your computer if you have that option.

Anyway, while viewing the show or movie, you can capture an image that is on the screen by simply hitting the "prt sc" button (stands for "print screen".  This does NOT actually print anything but actually sends an image of whatever is on your screen at the time to the clipboard.  It also helps if you can pause the playback before hitting print screen but if you're timing is good it isn't necessary.  You can then just paste the image (by hitting Ctrl+V) in whatever image software you have.  I use PAINT which is the most basic drawing program around and comes automatically with any version of Windows.  Paint can be found in the "Accessories" folder in your menue.  Once you have the image you want, just crop out the exraneious borders and save the pic.

If anything I said was less than clear, feel free to ask again.  Also, if anyone out there has a simpler method of capturing screen images, don't hesitate to make me look like a backward fool by showing how, I'm not vain (EVEN THOUGH I AM DEVESTATINGLY HANDSOME AND AWSOMELY SMART).

good luck.

Baby smooth is not for me a shaven chest is scary
Give to me a wooly man, his torso dark and hairy
trim the fur and lose the pelt, a practice, quite contrary
I'd rather see a hirsute man, than a hairless, manscaped Mary

#3 2010-03-07 10:08:54

square
Administrator
Website

Ah, the age old question. For me, the easiest way to get screencaps off a DVD is by using Snapshot feature on VLC Media Player. I am using a Mac but I'm sure the Windows version would do the same.

As for online videos, the simplest way is to do what gmaster21st said on Windows and while on the Mac, you can press CMD+CTRL+SHIFT+4 to take a selection of the screen and it will automatically saved the cap as an image file on your desktop. All you have to do (if you have more time on your hands) is to crop it accordingly in your favorite image editor.

Good luck with the new laptop. I'm not a fanboy but I'd say get a Mac since you can run both Mac and Windows on it. Good for capping as well. wink

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3346571790_274e25191f_o.gif

#4 2010-03-13 14:12:52

Man Chester
T-Shirt

Thanks, gmaster and square. I appreciate the help. It may not happen for a little while, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.  Thanks again. smile

Board footer